Monday, December 1, 2014

Nighthawk 250 Pro Quadcopter

With a few improvements on my mind I decided to build a new quad.  With speed, efficiency, and durability in mind I constructed this new quad.


Here are some pictures from the build:

Soldering Multiple Wires
Soldering Multiple Wires
Messy Workbench as Always
Pitch Gimbal


Frame - NightHawk 250 Pro
I decided to go with a less popular frame, the Nighthawk 250 pro from BestHobbyMall.com. At around $50 for the full carbon frame, I couldn't be happier with the quality.  There was plenty of space for all my components.

Motors - EMAX 2204 2300kv
So far, these motors have been great.  After several hard crashes, the magnets and bearings have held up very well unlike my old RCX 1804s.  I would highly recommend these motors.

ESC - EMAX 12A
A great, reliable choice of ESC.  Not much else to say.

Controller - NAZE32 Acro
Instead of running baseflight, I'm giving the cleanflight fork a shot.  Not sure how I feel about it yet. The hardware is still my favorite choice when it comes to control boards.

Battery - Nanotech 1300mAH 45-90C 3s
So far these batteries have held up well to high current draws.  They outperform my Zippy batteries and I can usually fly a bit longer on these at 5 - 6 mins.

Receiver - FrSky D4R-II
One of my favorite receivers with 8channel PPM and telemetry all packed into a tiny footprint.

FPV - IRC 600mW & 600tvl CMOS
The original camera from my Fatshark stater kit and a high power 5.8ghz transmitter. Working great so far.

Props - HQ5040, HQ5045, HQ6030
5040 - Good props for smaller 1806 motors
5045 - Great for bigger motors that can't run 6" props. Very fast: high pitch
6030 - Good for getting heavier quads in the air.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the build!
    I just bought a Storm FPV racer from helipal.com and it's very similar, same frame, same motor.
    They use CC3D and probably the same ESC.

    I like you servo gimbal tilt FPV cam.

    ReplyDelete